• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sports nutrition myths BUSTED! *POW!*

PinkStrawberries

Bluelighter
Sports Nutrition Myths Busted
As a personal trainer, and someone who finds a great deal of personal satisfaction in enlightening others as to how to be more healthy, I thought I would call out some of the popular myths in hopes that it might be of some use to anyone who reads. Enjoy 
Myth 1
More protein = more muscle.
The truth:
Only athletes who are involved with muscular endurance training (marathon runners for example) will benefit from protein; however loading up on it still isn’t necessary. Heavy muscular endurance trainers can simply adjust their diet, 15%-20% of calories from protein being best. The reason for this is because the body may have a reduction in protein stores due to heavy training. As for the rest of us, we get plenty of protein from our diet and eating more of it will not make your muscles grow stronger or bigger. I repeat protein will not increase muscle size or strength. There is no evidence supporting consumption of excess protein will increase muscle size/strength; in fact, the body will store excess protein to fat. Excess protein also causes dehydration, and added stress on kidneys and liver.
Myth 2
Eating candy bars and drinking soft drinks before competing will provide you with a burst of energy.
The truth:
Consuming products high in sugar content within an hour of competition will cause the body’s insulin levels to spike. This causes the sugar in the blood to be removed to quickly consequentially causing one to feel weak and tired (i.e.,rebound hypoglycemia). Foods high in carbs are ideal. Suck it up and eat those cardboard tasting nutrition bars. They’re good for you. Eat the ones that say “Great source of protein!” or something along those lines if you’re using nutritional bars as a meal replacement… but why the hell would anybody want to do that? I really like Nature Valley bars, they’re pretty tasty and loaded with protein filled peanuts. Nutragrain bars are a tasty pre-work out snack to keep energy levels consistent. For those of us who like to load up on Monsters and Red Bulls before, say… a night of dancing and sweating at a rave, you may instead consider juice, or even better, Gatorade.
Myth 3
Drinking water causes cramps.
Truth:
Deal with it. Having all that water slushing around in your stomach can cause some GI discomfort but it will pass. What’s more important: not drinking water prior and during exercise causes dehydration. Drink 4 to 8 ounces every 10-15 minutes of intense exercise. Deal with the cramps.
Myth 4
Carbohydrates will make you fat.
Truth:
Dr. Atkins, the diet guru and author of “Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution” was one of the most popular diet fads of our time. Unfortunately, those who experienced weight loss from this diet were a result of water and protein loss in muscle, not fat. We already talked about protein during myth number one. Now about carbs… Lowing or doing away with carb intake eliminates foods that provide essential nutrients, energy, and fiber. (grains, fruits, vegetables) Carbs are our main fuel, and we should get at least 55-60% of our daily calories from them. Bon apatite!
Myth 5
Vitamin and mineral supplements will provide more energy.
Truth:
No. Vitamins and minerals provide no calories thus no energy and there are no studies to back up that mega doses will supply one with more energy. We can get all the vitamins and minerals we need through a well balanced diet.
Myth 6
Drinking tea or coffee before exercise will improve performance.
Truth:
Teas and coffees contain the stimulant caffeine. There is evidence that supports caffeine will improve endurance by increasing the use of fat and sparing muscle glycogen. (MacIntosh & Wright) The extra oomph is slight and may not affect everyone. The cons of caffeine outweigh the pros anyway. Caffeine causes dehydration and also causes you to pee more which in turn causes more dehydration. For hypersensitive individuals (such as myself), anxiety is most likely to occur.
Myth 7
All natural herbs and herbal supplements are safe and will make you lose weight/increase performance/become a super hero (or hereon).
Truth:
Many of these supplements are not FDA reviewed. Since the dietary Supplement health Act was passed, dietary supplements are no longer subject to the premarket safety evaluation allowing companies to market and sell supplements with out testing the effects or safety. Diet pills are the worst scam ever, yet millions of individuals (esp women) pop the little suckers down and starve themselves silly. If any of you are currently taking a diet pill to aid in weight loss, please use your search engine and these three words: Heart Diet Pills.
Ok one more (and then I’m going to bed)
Myth 8!
If a product says “NO TRANS FATS,” then it must be true.
Truth:
Read the ingredients. While some products might claim to be free of trans fats it might not necessary be true. Here’s another word to Google… “Hydrogenation”
Unsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature. When unsaturated fats are processed via hydrogenation the result is a solid form. Hydrogenated trans fatty acids are responsible for causing high blood pressure and cholesterol. It is basically a poison. If you want to safe guard your chances of not having a heart attack when you’re older, I suggest before buying anything off the shelf to flip it over to the back, look for that little paragraph with a heap of chemicals no one knows how to pronounce, and look for the word – “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated.” (There really isn’t such a thing as ‘partially’ hydrogenating something, either it is, or it isn’t)
Why would the food industry allow such a thing?
Because hydrogenation extends shelf life. Bottom line. Remember that French fry you found in your car last time you cleaned it out. Looked the same as it did when you bought it, huh? This is due to hydrogenation. Do you really want to be putting that sort of thing into your body? Think about how hard it is for your body to rid itself of something like that! If your one of those people who don’t care and eat it anyway, well... the trans fats will store happily along the inside walls of your arties for the next 51 days, which is how long it takes the body to metabolize them.
“…if a dietary supplement contains a reportable amount of trans or saturated fat, which is 0.5 gram or more, dietary supplement manufacturers must list the amounts on the Supplement Facts panel.”
http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/ConsumerInformation/ucm109832.htm
So if there is less than 0.5 grams of hydrogenated trans fats in the product then the manufacturer is not required to list it, and many even go as far as to marketing it.
Thanks for reading. 
Spread the truth.
Goodnight.

Nice post. Basically everything there fits in with common sense. Eating sweets before a race, or drinking coffee before a workout never sat well logically for me.

Drinking tea or coffee before exercise will improve performance.
Truth:
Teas and coffees contain the stimulant caffeine. There is evidence that supports caffeine will improve endurance by increasing the use of fat and sparing muscle glycogen. (MacIntosh & Wright) The extra oomph is slight and may not affect everyone. The cons of caffeine outweigh the pros anyway. Caffeine causes dehydration and also causes you to pee more which in turn causes more dehydration.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/The_Caffeinated_Runner.htm

"Caffeine is a diuretic, meaning that it increases urine production, which could theoretically exacerbate dehydration during exercise. However, exercise negates this effect."

caffeine is a proven performance and endurance enhancer. as a distance runner, i can say unequivocally that, for me, the pros are many and the cons are few and far between.

Truth:
Deal with it. Having all that water slushing around in your stomach can cause some GI discomfort but it will pass. What’s more important: not drinking water prior and during exercise causes dehydration. Drink 4 to 8 ounces every 10-15 minutes of intense exercise. Deal with the cramps.

this is also a little mis-leading. A) if you've got water sloshing around in your stomach, you need a better hydration strategy. B) depending on weather and exercise intensity, that much water (especially DURING exercise) is likely unnecessary. focus more on going into a workout well-hydrated.

Last edited:
*bon appetit* -I needed to do that. When I hit that sentence my focus was jumbled and I couldn't go on. Otherwise, nice post.

Myth 1
More protein = more muscle.

it repairs muscles quicker resulting in being able to workout more in a shorter period of time thus resulting in increase in muscle/strength. of course you have to workout to get bigger/stronger, not protein alone. im not a gym guru and this could be the placebo effect im experiencing.

no protein after workout: sore.
protein after workout: not sore. work out again quicker

Yeah honestly the protein has definitely shown results for me and the soreness is much much less and goes away faster. I will continue to take my protein supplements :)

im not a gym guru and this could be the placebo effect im experiencing.

i've had the same observation. i know that the science says you get all the protein you could possibly need from diet, but for some reason protein supplements have a huge impact on how i feel after a workout. i know that a lot of the newer recovery drinks (for endurance athletes) include protein, so maybe there's something to having it in a solution that helps it get to the muscles during that critical 30-60 min post-workout window.

I too try to get in some protein after my workouts and definitely notice a (positive) effect.

Hi,

By utilising the sports nutrition supplements within the eating plan, one should maintain discipline and dedication to eating plan as well as to your exercise routine to ensure that you achieve maximum success in all your efforts.

i pretty much either disagree with everything in the OP, or have minor discrepancies with everything stated. care to provide sources for all of this? most of it is myth busting things that arent myths to begin with (sorry, professional athletes dont think eating a snickers before a game will help them).

myth: myth goes here
truth: yes myth is true, deal with it.

are you serious? way to myth bust! deal with the cramps? youd make an awesome instructor. thats sarcasm by the way.

if youre trying to gain mass, and you do not eat ~ 0.75g protein/1lb bodyweight (plus appropriate calories, etc), you will not gain mass. i spent about 5-6 years doing serious physiological and dietary analysis of myself, and others close to me, plus my best friend is a nutritionist. i can ajust my diet and the diets of others i know dynamically down to the gram, and watch muscle tone and grow rapidly over time. ive got a great amount of experience on these things. you dont need that much protein if youre not bulking up, true. dont drink protein powders all day, theyre good immediately after a workout, and then maybe several hours later. you should get all the rest of your protein via your diet, and vary your sources as much as possible. protein (+calories + good form in gym + good diet + rest) = more muscle mass.

strength and mass have nothing to do with each other. strength refers to the conditioning of the muscle fibers you already have in place.

myth 4 is worthwhile, yes. lots of dumbasses think cutting carbs (what youre damned brain runs on) is somehow good for them. chalk that one up to mass media.

ive never met a person in my life that thinks vitamins give you energy.

caffeine does not necessarily cause dehydration. caffeine is an awesome natural stimulant, and coffee actually contains some decent antioxidants (in any event, i usually consume synthesized caffeine powder, more direct.) caffeine will improve your workout performance, just dont overdo it like anything else in life. id also like to know what the negative effects are. youll become dehydrated if you dont drink any water at all, but if your knowledge of human physiology is that low, you shouldnt even be working out. caffeine is awesome, id never lift without it. drinking tea or coffee before your workout WILL improve your performance.

the FDA is an insidiously evil organization, run by former big agri and big food investors, ceos, and shareholders. the FDA doesnt give a shit about what is healthy and what isnt (why do you think aspartame and HFCS permeates everything in the US diet?). The FDA only cares about what will prevent you from contributing to GDP and what will cause you to consume goods that they are invested in. FDA approval/non approval is meaningless. this is why your myth 8 stands - the labels on the back of foods provide inaccurate data, incomplete data, and were developed long before science had a firm understanding of human physiology and nutrition science. its like reading a medical textbook from 1820. sure, vitamin C is good for you, but the amount of calories listed on foods is hardly the amount of calories your body will make of what youre consuming, etc.

Myth 2
Eating candy bars and drinking soft drinks before competing will provide you with a burst of energy.
The truth:
Consuming products high in sugar content within an hour of competition will cause the body’s insulin levels to spike. This causes the sugar in the blood to be removed to quickly consequentially causing one to feel weak and tired (i.e.,rebound hypoglycemia). Foods high in carbs are ideal. Suck it up and eat those cardboard tasting nutrition bars. They’re good for you. Eat the ones that say “Great source of protein!” or something along those lines if you’re using nutritional bars as a meal replacement… but why the hell would anybody want to do that? I really like Nature Valley bars, they’re pretty tasty and loaded with protein filled peanuts. Nutragrain bars are a tasty pre-work out snack to keep energy levels consistent. For those of us who like to load up on Monsters and Red Bulls before, say… a night of dancing and sweating at a rave, you may instead consider juice, or even better, Gatorade.

How are juice or Gatorade any better in terms of sugar?

Hi :) long time no see

it repairs muscles quicker resulting in being able to workout more in a shorter period of time thus resulting in increase in muscle/strength. of course you have to workout to get bigger/stronger, not protein alone. im not a gym guru and this could be the placebo effect im experiencing.

Very Good Point!

It is true that protien after a workout will help aid in muscle recovery if taken along with carbohydrates. :)

This should not be (so commonly) confused with gaining muscle mass, or size. Apologies for the confusion, I should have mentioned/clairified this...

A great example of that would be a homemade smoothie drink made with a banana and protein powder added with a juice like cranberry or orange juice in a blender..Taken after a workout. This combination would help with recovery.

What happens is people take in too much protien, about 10 ounces/day which is too much in many cases... Too much protien raises LDL, bad cholesterol. Protien power is not the problem, the problem is we take too much protein a day.

How much protein one should consume daily is a debatable subject but as the above poster mentioned ~.75 - .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight is best (based on research).

A good way to determine how much protein your body requires is too use the following formula:

your weight in lbs ____ /divided by/ 2.2 = ____ weight in kilograms X 0.8 = ______protien requirements.

Example:

155lbs/2.2= 70.45 kilograms
70.45 X 0.8 = 56 grams of protein per day

Another concern in powder supplementation lies with in taking too much of a single amino acid. Large amounts of a single amino acid such as arginine and lysine, can interfear with other amino acid absorption. In additional concern, substituting amino acid supplements for food may cause deficiencies for other nutreints found in protein rich foods, like iron for example. These imbalances are very possible if large amount of a single amnio acids like arginine and ornithine are consumed in order to achieve growth hormone release and muscle development.

It is also worth mentioning that thorough stretching of the muscles does help with muscle soreness. Hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds.
Either way soreness is inevitable. Everyone has heard of the saying "getting ripped" right? Well, that is exactly what is happening to your muscle fibers when you work them out. The muscle tissue "tears," so to speak. Then repairs itsself i.e. building more muscle.

Hope this clairifies any confusion on the protein subject. And sorry for such a late reply. Lots of great responses here :)

How are juice or Gatorade any better in terms of sugar?

theyre worse, in a way. they have HFCS, instead of glucose. oh pow mythbusted. fuck sports drinks. drink some fucking coconut water. its cheaper.

70.45 X 0.8 = 56 grams of protein per day

maybe if youre a body building underpants gnome. i cant accept this. source requested.

Another concern in powder supplementation lies with in taking too much of a single amino acid. Large amounts of a single amino acid such as arginine and lysine, can interfear with other amino acid absorption. In additional concern, substituting amino acid supplements for food may cause deficiencies for other nutreints found in protein rich foods, like iron for example. These imbalances are very possible if large amount of a single amnio acids like arginine and ornithine are consumed in order to achieve growth hormone release and muscle development.

alerting the masses as to quality of product is by no means 'mythbusting.' In addition, read what I stated above about diet diversity (specifically diversity in protein sources). youre also looping a bunch of random facts together as though it formulates one singular idea, none of which even retorts to the claim that yes, you do need lotsa protein to build larger muscles. if you drink protein powder as your only dietary source, yah youre going to do some damage to yourself, thats why all products such as that have a giant stamp underneath the nutrition label that reads: THIS IS NOT A FOOD SOURCE.

It is also worth mentioning that thorough stretching of the muscles does help with muscle soreness. Hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds.

if you dont know the first part, you should not be lifting weights, as your level of knowledge is low enough that youre going to hurt yourself. consult a physician or personal trainer. ROFL @ its "worth mentioning..."

the second part is arbitrary. why 30? getting ready for some yoga? agreed that simply touching one's toes for a moment is not enough, but 30 seems like a totally random (and very long) number. id hold the peak of a good stretch for 5 seconds while exhaling, pull back for a moment and inhale, stretch deeper for 5 secs while exhaling, until satisfied.

Last edited:
Is this a troll?

i thought the same thing at first, but then i recall the thousands of people ive met in fitness centers rattling off their opinions like its science, while they curl 60 lbs unevenly with a pushing movement from their forearms and completely miss their bicep.

rm-rf:

Thought there are many theories, no one really knows what causes abdominal cramps or upset stomachs during exercise, however 9 times out of 10 my clients are able to fight through them with a little motivation.
Water is the single most important nutrient to an exercising individual. Most of us do not get as much water as we need during workout due to the fact that our stomach starts to cramp, or we are not feeling thirsty and therefor assume we are hydrated enough to continue untill the exercise is complete. Like I stated about AT LEAST 4 - 6 ounces of water is recommended during exercise to help replace the fluids that are lost through prespiration.

If you're interested in using caffien as a performance enhancer, perhaps you might find this helpful:
http://www.creativedining.com/pages/NI4U/caffeine_and_exercise.pdf

Thanks for your (sarcasm and) response (;

uhm, you diddnt answer anything really, you just repeated some copy+paste style jargon. youre also one of those people with the magical ability to produce statistics, you should be a corporate advertiser. 9 out of 11 orangutans think this thread is old wives tale classics.

youre only source for some completely insignificant claim about water is a pdf? no thanks i dont download files on the web linked by people who think 33% of all prison inmates prefer the taste of baconesque to bacon. there wasnt even an argument about water, all i stated was you diddnt even propose a myth about water.

again,

Myth 3
Truth:
Deal with it.

how is that "myth busting?" 3+ 3 = 6. yes it does! myth busted! fyi water does not *cause* cramps either.

aaaaaand as for the other refutes?

theyre worse, in a way. they have HFCS, instead of glucose. oh pow mythbusted. fuck sports drinks. drink some fucking coconut water. its cheaper.

maybe if youre a body building underpants gnome. i cant accept this. source requested.

Your correct. An active adult would require this. Nonactives would be much less. Like I said, exact protein requirements are debatable.

alerting the masses as to quality of product is by no means 'mythbusting.' In addition, read what I stated above about diet diversity (specifically diversity in protein sources). youre also looping a bunch of random facts together as though it formulates one singular idea, none of which even retorts to the claim that yes, you do need lotsa protein to build larger muscles. if you drink protein powder as your only dietary source, yah youre going to do some damage to yourself, thats why all products such as that have a giant stamp underneath the nutrition label that reads: THIS IS NOT A FOOD SOURCE.

I believe we agreeing on this subject

if you dont know the first part, you should not be lifting weights, as your level of knowledge is low enough that youre going to hurt yourself. consult a physician or personal trainer. ROFL @ its "worth mentioning..."

the second part is arbitrary. why 30? getting ready for some yoga? agreed that simply touching one's toes for a moment is not enough, but 30 seems like a totally random (and very long) number. id hold the peak of a good stretch for 5 seconds while exhaling, pull back for a moment and inhale, stretch deeper for 5 secs while exhaling, until satisfied.

it takes ~15 seconds for mucles fibers to fully stretch, 30 would be twice that ensuring a fuller stretch. yoga is a great way to recover from heavy exercise.